nanog mailing list archives

Re: skype shoots self in foot

From: JP <froztbyte () froztbyte net>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 08:33:01 +0200

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 03:12:46PM +0900, Randy Bush wrote:
skype seems to have made the latest 6.x incompatible with 2.8 (which
folk who care about screen real estate run) in that video no longer
works between them.

until widespread availability of webrtc, a bunch of us are using
jitsi for video, https://jitsi.org/
  o uses open standard protocols
  o free, open source, apple pie, ...
  o supports opus codec which has really good performance across a
    wide range of bandwidth http://www.opus-codec.org/comparison/
  o multi-participant video on xmpp-based videobridge, also open
    source
  o does xmpp, sip, aim, icq, yahoo, ...

And last I tried it, it kept segfaulting on something dumb ;)
Nice to see it supports opus though. And I really wish the FOSS software
in this space didn't suck so much.

i have an ejabberd+videobridge up if folk want test/use accounts.
and it's easy to put up your own, of course.

and while you are looking at escaping other big company servers,
check out http://labs.bittorrent.com/experiments/sync.html, real
peer to peer dropbox.

Since you've already done the legwork on that, maybe share some comments
so people can see how they could do it in their own env?

-J