nanog mailing list archives

Re: "It's the end of the world as we know it" -- REM

From: Daniel Roesen <dr () cluenet de>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 12:12:29 +0200

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 10:55:51AM +0200, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
I also find it a bit strange that the runout in APNIC and RIPE was very
different. APNIC address allocation rate accelerated at the end, whereas
RIPE exhaustion date kept creeping forward in time instead of closer in
time, giving me the impression that there wasn't any panic there.

RIPE had shrinking allocation windows (12/9/6/3 months) and increasingly
strict scrutining of requests. Even in 3 months window period, people
showing need for >55k of IPs for that 3 months only got /17+/18 (48k)
instead of /16 one would expect - so in fact the windows were even
shorter in practise.

Geoff pointed out the large alloc players having a huge impact in the
end game scenario - this was effectively neutralized by this "soft
landing" policy, I'd say.

I'm not aware that APNIC also had such a "soft landing" policy in
effect, but I didn't monitor closely.

Best regards,
Daniel

--