nanog mailing list archives

Re: Quad-A records in Network Solutions ?

From: Mark Andrews <marka () isc org>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 13:56:15 +1000

In message <5648A8908CCB564EBF46E2BC904A75B15FF1684ABF () EXVPMBX100-1 exc.icann.o
rg>, Leo Vegoda writes:

Eric Brunner-Williams wrote:

[...]

Joe is an employee of the corporation, a rather high ranking one. As I
mentioned in my response to Mark, he _may_ be in a position to
encourage both legal to develop new language for future addition to
the RAA, and the Registrar Liaison to socialize the issue to those RAA
parties who are members of the Registrar Stakeholder Group within the
Contracted Parties House of the GNSO, and the Compliance team.

As a matter of policy development you should expect that Registrars
(recall hat) have been presented with ... proposed new terms and
conditions that ... are not universally appreciated, and so one must
either (a) impose new conditions unilaterally upon counter-parties,
arguing some theory of necessity, or (b) negotiate a mutually
agreeable modification.

IPv6 was on the table from the start of the RAA negotiations, as I
understand it. When I scanned the draft RAA posted a few weeks back I
noticed language like:

"3.3.1 At its expense, Registrar shall provide an interactive web page
and a port 43 Whois service (each accessible via both IPv4 and IPv6)
[...]"

and

"2. IPv6  - To the extent that Registrar offers registrants the ability
to register nameserver addresses, Registrar must allow both IPv4
addresses and IPv6 addresses to be specified."

There are multiple documents to read and you can find them all here.

https://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/proposed-raa-07mar13-en.htm

If anyone has specific questions about the draft RAA, they should
contact Samantha Eisner, whose contact details are on that page.

Regards,

Leo

Looking at
https://www.icann.org/en/resources/registrars/raa/proposed-additional-operation-07mar13-en.pdf
there is nothing which requires registrars to support AAAA on the web
pages when A records are supported on web pages.

AAAA and DS updates currently often required registrants to jump through
all sorts of hoops compared to adding A and NS records.

Maintenance of A, AAAA, NS and DS records are core functionality and
need to be treated as such.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka () isc org