nanog mailing list archives

Re: Speedtest Results speedtest.net vs Mikrotik bandwidth test

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 06:18:34 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 3 Apr 2013, joel jaeggli wrote:

Telling people to get by with even less instrumentation then they have already doesn't win you any friends. The solution to bad instruments is better instruments not breaking flow meter off the well.

I have pitched the idea in the IETF to have TCP stacks themselves report IP performance indicators (aggregate) and that a standard for this to be standardised. No takers so far.

I hate test traffic, I want to know how the real traffic is doing instead. In my opinion, people are way too happy to inject a lot of "useless" test traffic.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se