nanog mailing list archives

Re: Angled Polish Connectors and DWDM

From: Aaron Glenn <aaron.glenn () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 14:14:45 +0400

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Igor Ybema <igor () ergens org> wrote:
Hi Aaron,

Are there situations when angled connectors are not
to be used? Are they 'safe' or even recommended for any kind of DWDM
application?

To my knowledge APC is always better than PC connectors. APC are used
to eliminate back reflections. Due to the angled connector reflections
are sent mostly towards the cladding and not the core and therefore.

Indeed. I have always held the idea that APC connectors induced
greater chromatic and/or polarization mode dispersion -- yet can't
find any resources that claim so, nor does that fit in with my working
mental model of how light propagates. Just something I picked up
during the hellish days of trying to deploy 10GbE before it was cool;
now I'd like to know if it is grounded in any science (-:

Thanks
aaron