nanog mailing list archives

Re: RFC becomes Visio

From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman () meetinghouse net>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 18:09:18 -0400

Jason Baugher wrote:
On 9/28/2012 1:08 PM, Joe Maimon wrote:
Just got told by a Lightpath person that in order to do BGP on a customer gig circuit to them they would need a visio diagram (of what I dont know).

Has anybody else seen this brain damage?
Regardless of all the other comments here making fun of the request, I can somewhat understand why they might do this. Some of the requests I have gotten from customers are so misguided and confusing that a simple diagram can go far to clear things up. I know it seems crazy to everyone here that can set up BGP peering in their sleep, but when you're getting a new request from someone who hasn't gotten an ASN yet, and has never heard of a routing registry? All they know is a consultant told them they needed to "do BGP" with their ISP?

Isn't it a role of sales engineering/support to help customers through this process? I know that, if a vendor told me that I had to jump through hoops to do business with them, I'd be complaining to my sales rep., and looking for another vendor.

Miles Fidelman