nanog mailing list archives

Are NAT'ed networks part of the Internet?

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 14:55:00 +0000

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 11:23:34AM +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:

I'm trying to figure out whether CERNET http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CERNET
is part of the official Internet, or is behind the Great Firewall where
access to invididual networks on the public Internet must be explicitly
granted. Anyone in the know?

Well, they are part of -my- Internet. I'm Bill Manning and I approved this message.
(there, its offical too)

Since you raise the issue of "firewall" - I'll raise you one and ask;

"Are networks behind NAT/ALG or that use RFC 1918 or the v6 equivalent address space,
part of the 'Internet' or are they in networks where access to addresses/service ports
must be explicitly granted?"

/bill