nanog mailing list archives

Re: IMPLEMENTING A SOFTWARE BASED ROUTE SERVER

From: John Kemp <kemp () buddylove uoregon edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 05:47:38 -0700

On 09/20/2012 12:34 AM, John Kemp wrote:
On 9/19/12 5:29 AM, Phil Regnauld wrote:
Joseph M. Owino  (jpmuga) writes:
Hi,

Hope you are all well. I work at an exchange point and was seeking any assistance on how to implement a software based
route server as currently we are using a Cisco Router for that purpose. Any form of assistance will be highly
appreciated.
        Hello Joseph,

        You could do this in a number of ways, running Quagga or BIRD (or even
        BGPD) on a Linux or BSD server.

        Quagga documentation even has a chapter on this:

        http://www.nongnu.org/quagga/docs/quagga.html#SEC115

        I'm sure several people on this list have experience with this and will
        contribute. Also, it might be send this inquiry to the AfNOG list as well
        (afnog.org).

        Finally (plug) we have some resources that may be of interest to you here:

        https://nsrc.org/route-bgp-ixp.html

        Cheers,
        Phil

Thought I would add some more links (Bird related...).
Seems like the genesis has been from a single-rib on the RS
to RIBs-per-client.  And more recently to using the IRRs for
additional filtering options.  AMS-IX for example:
https://www.ams-ix.net/technical/specifications-descriptions/ams-ix-route-servers

Here's that BIRD stuff...
http://www.peering-forum.eu/epf3/presentations/day1/inex-epf-dublin-2008-09-15-01.pdf
https://git.nic.cz/redmine/projects/bird/wiki/Route_server_with_community_based_filtering
http://www.mail-archive.com/bird-users () atrey karlin mff cuni cz/msg00505.html
)

A few more comments on this ... At the recent RIPE meeting
Ondrej Filip has a new feature called "secondary" that may be a
work-around to get away from RIB-per-client. Presentation is here:

https://ripe65.ripe.net/presentations/191-BIRD-20120926-OF-RIPE-EIX.pdf

There was also a decent talk about a proposed draft for
best current practices for BGP security at the IXP.  Worth a read.

https://ripe65.ripe.net/presentations/256-draft-jdurand-bgp-security-02-RIPE65-02.pdf

John Kemp (kemp () routeviews org)