nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Address allocation best practises for sites.

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 19:37:31 -0400

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 6:52 PM, John Mitchell <mitch () illuminati org> wrote:
Question about what other service/network providers are doing in relation to
allocation of addresses for websites.

With IPv6 starting to trickle its way in, what is considered the industry
best practise now for IP(v6) addresses bonded to websites. In the past the
standard practise was to have a single IPv4 address shared between multiple
sites using a name based virtual host directive in Apache/IIS, unless of
course the site was SSL in which case it normally needed a IP of its own
(unless you had a client who was happy to only support SSL on IE7+ browsers
with SNI).

Does the best practise switch to now using one IPv6 per site, or still the
same one IPv6 for multi-sites?

Hi John,

Given web browser issues with javascript and DNS changes (see DNS
pinning) I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to pick a configuration
strategy where the IP could follow the site name from server to
server.

I'm not in the multi-site web server business any more. The stuff I
build these days needs a load balancer. If I was I suspect I'd start
at routing a /64 to each web server. Then I'd take a long hard look at
whether it was a better plan to put all the multiply-addressed servers
on a single /64 and let neighbor discovery find the right one for each
site, or to implement /64''s per server and put /128 overrides in the
adjacent router for sites that move from the original server (because
the customer upgraded of course).

Then I'd consider whether to route a /112 to each server instead of a
/64 and assign a single /64 for the set of web servers.  I don't know
of any specific problem with routing 2^64 addresses to a single host
but I also can't imagine hosting more than 65,000 sites on a single
server.

So, not a BCP but perhaps some food for thought when choosing your approach.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004