nanog mailing list archives

Re: Real world sflow vs netflow?

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 20:21:46 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012, Peter Phaal wrote:

I am a puzzled by the orthodoxy that seems to prevail around the value "flows" as a measure of network traffic in packet switched networks.

What platforms actually do real unsampled netflow today, and do it well for multi-10gigabit worth of typical Internet traffic?

Most of the platforms I know of do sampled netflow at 1:100-1:1000 or so, and then I don't really see the fundamental difference in doing the flow analysis on the router itself (classic netflow) or doing the same but at the sFlow collector.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se