nanog mailing list archives

Re: Big Temporary Networks

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 16:55:01 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Leo Bicknell" <bicknell () ufp org>

I find more and more hotel networks are essentially unusable for
parts of the day, conference or no. Of course, bring in any geek
contingent with multiple devices and heavy usage patterns and the
problems get worse.

What I find most interesting is more often than not the problem
appears to be an overloaded / undersized NAT/Captive portal/DNS
Resolver system. Behaviors like existing connections working fine,
but no new ones can be created (out of ports on the NAT?). While
bandwidth is occasionally an issue, I've found an ssh tunnel out
to some other end point solves the issues in 9 out of 10 cases.

Neither part of that surprises me.  :-}

I'm *almost* convinced not to NAT IPv4, so far.

I wonder how many hotels upgrade their bandwidth but not the gateway,
get a report that their DS-3/OC-3/Metro-E is only 25% used, and think
all is well. Mean while half their clients can't connect to anything
due to the gateway device.

That's an interesting question indeed.  The optimal solution here, of
course, would be for Worldcons -- which are planned 3-4 years in advance --
to get the right technical people in the loop with the property to see
when in the next 2 years (after a bid is confirmed) they plan to upgrade
the networking they have now... and make sure it will tolerate a "real"
worst case.  The business case for the property, of course, is that
they're more salable to large technical conferences -- which makes them
more money.  Question is, is it enough.

Or do I just overlay for the event.

Cheers
,-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com