nanog mailing list archives

Re: Blocking MX query

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 08:05:06 -0400

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 6:07 AM, Ibrahim <ibrahim1 () gmail com> wrote:
I've read old archive about blocking SMTP port (TCP port 25). In my current
situation we are mobile operator and use NAT for our subscribers and we
have few spammers, a bit difficult to track it because mostly our
subscribers are prepaid services. If we block TCP port 25, there might be
"good" subscribers will not be able to send email.

Hi,

There are no "good" subscribers trying to send email direct to a
remote port 25 from behind a NAT. The "good" subscribers are either
using your local smart host or they're using TCP port 587 on their
remote mail server. You may safely block outbound TCP with a
destination of port 25 from behind your NAT without harming reasonable
use of your network.

We are thinking to block MX queries on our DNS server, so only spammer that
use their own SMTP server will got affected. All DNS queries from our
subscribers already redirected to our DNS cache servers. But seem Bind
don't have feature to block MX query. Any best practice to block MX query?

Best practice is: don't mess with the DNS.

I don't know if any resolver software supports what you want to do
here. If it does, I don't know what the repercussions are likely to
be. I do know that historically, altering DNS results has proven
problematic. For example, returning an A record for your search server
in place of no-host responses wreaks all manner of havoc.

I also doubt the efficacy of the method. Were this to become common
practice, a spammer could trivially evade it by using his own DNS
software or simply pumping out the address list along with
pre-resolved IP addresses to deliver the mail to. For all I know, they
already do.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004