nanog mailing list archives

Re: Coded TCP

From: Daniël W. Crompton <daniel.crompton () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 09:39:17 +0200

On 24 October 2012 08:35, Masataka Ohta <mohta () necom830 hpcl titech ac jp>wrote:

(2012/10/24 12:29), Rodrick Brown wrote:
"With coded TCP, blocks of packets are clumped together and then
transformed into algebraic equations that describe the packets. If
part of the message is lost, the receiver can solve the equation to
derive the missing data.

Don't do that.

This reads much like Reed-Solomon Error Correction[1], although it is a
good way to reconstruct lost data it introduces a network overhead and a
performance impact due to the reconstruction. The analysis states: "*the
receiver will receive at least 10 linear combinations to decode the
original 10 packets.*" Which reads to me as we need 10 packets of error
correction data to reconstruct 10 packets.

The only advantage I can see here, is that it would outperform UDP. :)

D.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed%E2%80%93Solomon_error_correction

--
blaze your trail

--
Daniël W. Crompton <daniel.crompton () gmail com>

<http://specialbrands.net/>

<http://specialbrands.net/>
http://specialbrands.net/
<http://twitter.com/webhat>