nanog mailing list archives

Re: Please, talk me down.

From: Mark Andrews <marka () isc org>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 16:21:44 +1100

In message <2801F5F8-B8E2-4A9F-9A89-02D7783CCDA7 () josephholsten com>, Joseph Ant
hony Pasquale Holsten writes:
I want to like IPv6. I do. But I'm seriously considering turning off
IPv6 support from our servers.

First off, I'm using djbdns internally and it doesn't support AAAA
records. So we really aren't using it internally.

djbdns doesn't support lots of things.

But today I noticed that we have a lot of traffic to our DNS cache, and
started to investigate. Turns out that every DNS request would start
with one for the AAAA record. Ah, no luck. Maybe you forgot the search
domain? Let's retry that DNS request with that tacked on. Failed again?
Meanwhile, lets simultaneously try for the AA record then. Repeat.

It looks like your getaddrinfo implementation is a searching for
AAAA records and then searching for A records.  With a A record for
name2 you get a query path like this.

e.g.    name1 AAAA      -> NXDOMAIN
        name2 AAAA      -> NODATA
        name3 AAAA      -> NXDOMAIN
        name1 A         -> NXDOMAIN
        name2 A         -> DATA

You could ask you vendor to implement a alternating search strategy.

e.g.    name1 AAAA      -> NXDOMAIN
        name1 A         -> NXDOMAIN
        name2 AAAA      -> NODATA
        name2 A         -> DATA

Additionally you could get your vendor skip the A lookup on NXDOMAIN
from AAAA.

e.g.    name1 AAAA      -> NXDOMAIN
        name2 AAAA      -> NODATA
        name2 A         -> DATA

I'm _this_ close to turning IPv6 off entirely. Anyone want to talk me
off this ledge?
--
http://josephholsten.com

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka () isc org