nanog mailing list archives

Re: Detection of Rogue Access Points

From: Matthias Waehlisch <waehlisch () ieee org>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 23:56:49 +0200

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:

There was a SIGCOMM paper a few years back that described a scheme
based on measuring the the ACK delays of TCP sessions. In a nutshell,
you can detect nodes on the wireless network by looking for the extra
delay added by the radio link.  It had very good accuracy, and caught
new nodes quickly.  It didn't require any prior knowledge of the
network.

I don't have a copy of the paper at hand, and I don't remember the
title/author or the publication date (2007ish?), but maybe this will
ring a bell for someone else on the list who does.

  do you mean http://conferences.sigcomm.org/imc/2007/papers/imc122.pdf
?

Cheers
  matthias

--
Matthias Waehlisch
.  Freie Universitaet Berlin, Inst. fuer Informatik, AG CST