nanog mailing list archives

Re: Another LTE network turns up as IPv4-only

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 11:42:28 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012, Bryan Tong wrote:

Why do you believe that address changes in handover? It's an integral part
of 3GPP standard that your existing bearer is used for handover, so your
address shouldn't change. If it changes then it means the handover didn't
work as designed, probably due to some radio related problem. If the address
changed, then it means the bearer was torn down and a new bearer was
initiated. This is definitely not expected behaviour. We have plenty of
customers with bearers that are up for tens of days in a row.

For that to be true wouldnt support for IPv6 need to be in all
generations of networks. With that standard in place there can not be
new protocols without retrofitting. For a user to switch from 6 to 4
would require and address change however that address change would be
reliant on DNS which would be out of the scope of network grade
support.

The goal is to have dual stack in all networks. Single stack IPv6 has worked for a long time in 2G/3G/4G (I did first trials 2 years ago, it's a non-brainer). It's the support for a dual stack bearer that is problematic.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se