nanog mailing list archives

Re: Dropping IPv6 Fragments

From: Fernando Gont <fernando () gont com ar>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2012 15:15:46 -0400

Hi, Joel,

On 10/04/2012 10:58 AM, joel jaeggli wrote:
So the thing I'd note is that stateless IPV6 ACLs or load balancing
provide you with an interesting problem since a fragment does not
contain the headers beyond the required unfragmentable headers.

In the real world, such packets are not legitimate, so feel free to drop
them. draft-ietf-6man-oversized-header-chain formally addresses this issue.

Likewise with the acl I have the property that the initial packet has
all the info in it while the fragment does not.

You're talking about initial-fragment vs non-initial fragments? -- If
so, in theory *both* might be missing the upper layer information. IN
practice, the first-fragment won't. If it does, feel free to drop it.

Cheers,
--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: fernando () gont com ar || fgont () si6networks com