nanog mailing list archives

RE: William was raided for running a Tor exit node. Please help if you can.

From: "Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law" <froomkin () law miami edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 19:29:46 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 29 Nov 2012, Naslund, Steve wrote:

[...]

When it comes to running an open access point, I think the legal issue
would be negligence.  Is it negligence for the 90 year old grandma to
have an open AP (probably not, just didn't know better)?  Is it
negligence for me to have an open AP (probably, I am a network
professional and know how to secure a network).

In order for there to be a civil claim of negligence there must be, inter alia, a breach of duty.

What duty has been breached in your scenario?  None.

[...]

This is certainly an interesting discussion and I think there are not a
lot of concrete answers since this is on the edge of technology law.  I

Actually some of us have been teaching and writing about this stuff since the mid 1990s. These issues are far from new; we went through them in the early anonymous remailer days.

<relurk>

--
A. Michael Froomkin, http://www.law.tm Blog: http://www.discourse.net
Laurie Silvers & Mitchell Rubenstein Distinguished Professor of Law