nanog mailing list archives

Re: "Programmers can't get IPv6 thus that is why they do not have IPv6 in their applications"....

From: Mark Andrews <marka () isc org>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 08:31:51 +1100

In message <84F8DEBC-C754-4D06-99B0-405CC8A358BD () josephholsten com>, Joseph Hol
On 2012-11-27, at 21:07, Jeroen Massar wrote:
As such, if an application does not do proper IPv6 today the people in
charge of the thing simply did not care...

Or do care.=20

=46rom http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HadoopIPv6:
Apache Hadoop does not currently support IPv6 networks, it uses IPv4 =
addresses for communicating between nodes. This is because Hadoop is =
designed to work in private datacenters, which usually have private IP =
addresses in the 10.x.x.x address space.
=20
    =95 Using IPv4 addresses everywhere provides a single form of =
TCP addressing for all our tests. Different network configurations (DNS, =
reverse DNS, DNS caching) still provide lots of problems and performance =
issues, but there is no need to worry about which IP protocol version is =
used.
    =95 Shorter addresses make for shorter packets, which can have a =
benefit on busy networks.
=20
This does not mean that the Hadoop team thinks that IPv4 is the best =
ever network protocol and that there is no reason to upgrade ever, only =
that it works well in datacenters.=20

(Yes, I am technically trolling. But mostly because I don't have the =
energy to fight for IPv6 any more. Maybe you do?)

Most of which is just FUD.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka () isc org