nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Netowrk Device Numbering BP

From: joel jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2012 14:43:43 -0400

On 11/1/12 2:01 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
There are better ways to avoid neighbor exhaustion attacks unless you have attackers
inside your network.
All of the migrations are compromises of one sort or another. We thought this one was important enough to include in an informational status RFC (6583).

Which approach is most appropriate (and whether it's necessary at all) will depend on the circumstances involved.
If you have attackers inside your network, you probably have bigger problems than
neighbor table attacks anyway, but that's a different issue.

Even if you're going to do something silly like use /120s on interfaces, I highly
recommend going ahead and reserving the enclosing /64 so that when you discover
/120 wasn't the best idea, you can easily retrofit.
The problem isn't silly, I didn't find it all that funny when I first induced it in the lab.
Owen