nanog mailing list archives

Re: CDNs should pay eyeball networks, too.

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 18:21:09 -0400

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 6:03 PM, David Miller <dmiller () tiggee com> wrote:
From an accounting perspective, every R&D effort that I have seen or
been a part of was not billed to any customer.  R&D has always, in my
experience, been an internal charge against a company's own profits.

Hi David,

That's called "internal" research and development or "IR&D".

It's distinguished from research and prototyping as an exploratory
effort under contract to a customer. For example, all grants under
organizations like NSF, ONR or DARPA the latter type of R&D. They want
to know if something is possible so they pay knowledge domain experts
to find out. Or more commonly, the experts submit a proposal that
says, "We think this is possible. It would be very good for you if it
is. Won't you please pay us to find out?"

As to hourly software development, I have never seen or been a part of a
software development effort where the final work product was not owned
by the entity paying for the hourly development.  The contract software
developer can't sell the same software twice because they don't own it
to sell it twice.

That depends on the contract. By law, the folks who wrote the software
(or the company who paid their salaries) own it. By law, contract !=
salary. Some contracts specify that the copyrights and other IP will
be signed over upon completion. With most of the contracts I've
worked, the customer doesn't get the copyright, but I make no claim
that's typical.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004