nanog mailing list archives

Re: HE.net BGP origin attribute rewriting

From: Joe Provo <nanog-post () rsuc gweep net>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 20:50:14 -0400

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 12:26:29PM +0100, Nick Hilliard wrote:
On 31/05/2012 11:23, Daniel Suchy wrote:
In my experience, there're not so many service providers
doing that.

Plenty of providers do it.  IIWY, I would universally rewrite origin at
your ingress points to be the same; otherwise you'll find that providers
will merely use it as a means of influencing the bgp best path decision
algorithm so that they end up with more of your traffic, and can
consequently charge you more.  There are many useful ways to build a
multi-exit discrimination policy.  Using origin is not one of them, in my
opinion.

I never encountered someone I paid doing this, but infrastructure-cheap
peers who stretched virtual circuits to meet peering point requirements
then tried to attract traffic away from those links were doing it for
years. I had the policy to overwrite peer's origin if they were
inconsistant at will for 6079 in the early 2000s.

--
         RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE / NewNOG