nanog mailing list archives

Re: Vixie warns: DNS Changer ‘blackouts’ inevitable

From: Nick Hilliard <nick () foobar org>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 17:44:00 +0100

On 31/05/2012 17:11, cncr04s/Randy wrote:
My comment was directed at government spending... no need to have such
a angry tone about the "comment". I was only comparing to what I spend
on my large volumes of queries and what this so called expensive stuff
the government is running...     And I have never developed a bad ram
card, even if I did, replacements are easy as i'm talking about
distributed vps in this case.

I'm getting the impression that the ISC involvement with the FBI on this
issue went well beyond the notion of sticking a couple of noddy DNS servers
on the Internet and well into the realm of engineering consultancy, court
appearances, engineering and management all-nighters, providing a level of
trustworthy service that could be justified to a
court of criminal law and so on.  All for $87k?  Personally, I don't have a
problem with that level of expenditure.

Nick