nanog mailing list archives

Re: HE.net BGP origin attribute rewriting

From: Keegan Holley <keegan.holley () sungard com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 10:00:50 -0400

I have seen providers instruct their upstreams to raise local-pref to
hijack traffic.  More than a few ISP's rewrite origin though.  Personally I
only consider it a slightly shady practice.  I think the problem with BGP
(among other things) is that there is no "blunt hammer".  Now that routers
have more than 1G of RAM and more than one core it may be time to add some
more knobs.