nanog mailing list archives

Re: ISPs and full packet inspection

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 22:36:27 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Justin M. Streiner" <streiner () cluebyfour org>

Aside from all of the business and legal sticking points that others have
mentioned, there are also the technical aspects of capturing, storing,
transporting, analyzing, and managing those packets, and the appliances
that do the heavy lifting. As your traffic grows, that problem scales
1:1 linearly, at best, and more likely n:1 linearly, or worse. The
added overhead of the infrastructure needed to support this will also make
it more difficult to be price-competitive with your peers.

TL:DR; The reasons for doing this on any kind of general basis have to
be *EXCEPTIONALLY* compelling to make a business case for it, apart from
any possible legal ramifications.

I used asterisks *and* capital letters; that's about an order of magnitude.

Don't forget staffing.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com