nanog mailing list archives

RE: Commerical Backup Solutions

From: Jamie Bowden <jamie () photon com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 12:08:59 +0000

BackupExec was a Seagate product Symantec bought prior to their purchase of Veritas.  I've been using NetBackup for
over a decade now (originally in Irix and Solaris heavy environments, but these days on Windows and Linux for the most
part). Symantec are a pain the ass to deal with, but the core NetBackup functionality is still stable and reliable (and
BackupExec has been brought into parity in many ways with NetBackup over the years, but still lacks some features and
functions its bigger brother handles).  The master server role can be anywhere in your topology and the media server
role is separated out and can exist across multiple hosts and locations.  Management can be done from any approved host
running the management console software.  Tivoli and Legato are pretty similar feature, functionality, and being
expensive, though I wouldn't wish Legato on anyone.

--
Jamie Bowden            (jamie () photon com)
Sr. Sys. Admin.         (703) 243-6613 x3848