nanog mailing list archives

Re: Looking for advice - Auditing zones on a set of name servers

From: Landon Stewart <lstewart () superb net>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 15:05:27 -0700

..snip..

I need it to do since sometimes we are authoritative but there are no NS
records or they are wrong.  I'm also not sure beating on google's name
servers is a good idea either so you should fill in your OWN recursive
name
servers instead f 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

don't you really want to walk the tree from . down? so dig +trace |
machine-ify
then make sure that the criteria you care about work out properly?
(this avoides people's old/legacy/super-long-ttl causing problems in
the shorter term)

I've done it this way.  Another person wrote me off list and said the same
thing so I've modified things to do it this way and it looks good.

Thanks for your reply!