nanog mailing list archives

Re: dns and software, was Re: Reliable Cloud host ?

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 20:15:49 -0500

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 8:02 PM, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> wrote:
There's no need to
break the current functionality of the underlying system calls and
libc functions which would be needed by any such library anyway.

Owen,

Point to one sentence written by anybody in this entire thread in
which breaking current functionality was proposed.

And because most everybody has made more or less the same errors, the
DNS TTL fails to cause their applications to work as intended and
loses its utility as a tool to facilitate renumbering.

Since I don't write applications for a  living, I will admit I haven't rigorously
tested any of the libraries out there, but, I'm willing to bet that someone,
somewhere has probably written a good one by now.

Yeah, and if you give me a few weeks I can probably find it amidst all
the others which aren't so hot.

Regards,
Bill

--
William D. Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004