nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verizon FiOS - is BGP an option?

From: "Justin M. Streiner" <streiner () cluebyfour org>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 20:32:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012, Faisal Imtiaz wrote:

Why do you want to do BGP with Comcast or Verizon ? (Over FIOS or Cable ?)

To gain redundancy for a consulting client.

Is the intent to Peer with their network ? (which they will rightfully only allow on bigger fatter connections)..

I think you mean "higher margin connections" ;) As far as I know, most major carriers will still sell you a T1 for Internet access (and even BGP!) if you want it.

Are you trying to delivery your IP's to a End Customer behind that FIOS / Cable Connection ? ...
(there a ways to accomplish this without needing their cooperation..)

Running BGP over a tunnel is one (albeit sub-optimal) option, but I don't know of any providers that sell such a service.

All of the other options have varying degrees of downside, i.e. how much of an outage are you willing to put up with when provider A fails, transferring DNS records, etc.

jms