nanog mailing list archives

Re: Concern about gTLD servers in India

From: Suresh Ramasubramanian <ops.lists () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 09:23:17 +0530

You mean you haven't then immediately heard the "we are a developing
country, please provide it free" story?

On 3/11/12, Jonathan Lassoff <jof () thejof com> wrote:
On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Bill Woodcock <woody () pch net> wrote:

On Mar 10, 2012, at 8:05 AM, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
Sure, if you can find a datacenter that's capable of handling all the
traffic, and has staff who are able to provide efficient remote hands for
huge racks of extremely powerful servers .

Honestly, we haven't even gotten that far when we've offered to deploy
servers (for instance for domains like .IN) inside India.  The bribes that
were requested in exchange for giving us permission to deploy a free
service were, uh, both prohibitive and ludicrous in their enormity.

This.

This and the import duties on hardware and the requirement for
licensing to operate as an "ISP" makes placing even a modest
deployment a lot more work compared to deploying in other neighboring
countries.

I would presume that Verisign decided that it just wasn't worth the
effort to deploy into India.
It obviously has a gigantic user base for which getting into local
ISPs and IXPs would probably save on transit costs.

Perhaps if some local root operators could donate some
space/power/connectivity, Verisign-grs could colocate a gTLD cluster
there?

Cheers,
jof

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian (ops.lists () gmail com)