nanog mailing list archives

Re: Concern about gTLD servers in India

From: Graham Beneke <graham () apolix co za>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 09:05:12 +0200

On 10/03/2012 08:19, Anurag Bhatia wrote:
Next, looking gTLD servers used by popular TLDs like com/net/org:

<snip>

None of these gTLD root servers are in India. I have tested routes to each
of them from BSNL (AS9829), Tata Comm (AS4755&  AS6453), Airtel (AS9498) -
all land up outside India - most of them in Europe and US, and couple of
them in Singapore, and one in Australia. Why so? Please correct me if I am
wrong on this analysis but this seems not efficient setup to me. Any damage
on outside connectivity (which is common with Earthquakes or ships hitting
submarine fiber, and eventually opposite route getting chocked with
traffic) - can cause huge issues on sites which are hosted within India.

This problem is unfortunately not unique to India. There appear to be no anycast instances of the gTLD servers in Africa either.

I am 180-500ms away from the gTLD servers right now.

Also, looking at reverse DNS root servers:

anurag@laptop:~$ dig in-addr.arpa. ns +short
a.in-addr-servers.arpa.
b.in-addr-servers.arpa.
c.in-addr-servers.arpa.
d.in-addr-servers.arpa.
e.in-addr-servers.arpa.
f.in-addr-servers.arpa.

These servers are operated by the RIRs. Its probably worth contacting APNIC to find out how to get an anycast instance installed at you local internet exchange point.

--
Graham Beneke