nanog mailing list archives

Re: RANCID script for monitoring the routes received from peers.

From: Phil Regnauld <regnauld () nsrc org>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 11:47:28 +0100

Ajay Kumar (joinajay1) writes:
Hello,

We are running IX in India.Has some one written script for monitoring the
routes announcement from peers?If yes,would you like to share code with
me.It can be done via one script under the framework of RANCID.I want to
know difference of routes,which has been added or removed.
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Ajay Kumar

        Hi Ajay,

        Are you running IOS, JunOS, something else ? You could do it
        via Rancid, using *login scripts. But there are ways to do this using SNMP
        and BGP mibs:

        http://www.oidview.com/mibs/0/BGP4-MIB.html
        http://tools.cisco.com/Support/SNMP/do/BrowseMIB.do?local=en&step=2&mibName=CISCO-BGP4-MIB

        Note that the network monitoring platform Observium has built-in
        support for tracking BGP sessions.

        Finally, another way to do this that could spare the CPU on on
        your routers if you run this often would be to setup a peer running
        Quagga (or BIRD) on a Linux/BSD host and run the monitoring there.

        Cheers,
        Phil