nanog mailing list archives

Re: Huawei edge routers..

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2012 10:22:56 -0600

On 3/7/2012 9:32 AM, Leigh Porter wrote:

I liked how ssh is secure-telnet, took bit head scratching to enable
ssh.
That is, of course, incorrect; there is actually a "secure telnet";
ISTR it's telnet-over-ssl?
How do you enable SSH then?
It may be incorrect terminology, but it is actually ssh on the box.

>sys
]rsa local-key-par create
]stelnet server enable
]undo ssh server compatible-ssh1x enable

]display ssh server status
 SSH version                         :2.0
 SSH connection timeout              :60 seconds
 SSH server key generating interval  :0 hours
 SSH Authentication retries          :3 times
 SFTP server                         :Disable
 Stelnet server                      :Enable

]quit

>save all

Do Huawei routers even have SSH? It'd slightly ironic that there is fuss around getting a Juniper domestic image with
SSH enabled and yet a Chinese vendor likely just gives it away.
See above.

So having said all that, has anybody here had good experiences of Huawei routers? Have they worked well in your networks and
are you happy with them? I'm mainly looking for something small (1-2U) that will do Ethernet over MPLS, VPLS and L3VPN
services.

My experience is limited with just keeping it running and configuring what I must. I have 0 documentation and it requires a lot of "?" for me to find the appropriately named commands for what I want to do still. I haven't seen the physical box. I've heard them call it an X3 and an NE40E. A little googling, and I'm not sure if this router is even a homebrew for them.

I suspect others have a lot more experience with their various platforms.

Jack