nanog mailing list archives

Re: Programmers with network engineering skills

From: Randy <randy_94108 () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 20:38:30 -0800 (PST)

if I may chime in -

It is the nature of the corporate-beast which has changed.

When I was starting out in the 80's and even through the early 90's network eng and sys eng went hand in hand.

Today it is far more silo'd. NetEng, SysEng are very *distinct* and as a result different groups today from an
operational standpoint.

NetEng deals with tcp/ip(without having a clue as to how apps interact with tcp/ip (generally speaking!!) and the
opposite applies to SysEng(once again, generally speaking!)

 So, programmers with network engineering skills and vise-versa are a rare-commodity to say the least.

I don't think it has anything to do with who is *inherently* interested in network eng or sys eng.

In the end:
upto the "$Employer". Know what you are *really* looking for, give them the opportunity to expand their horizons and
you will have found your-network engineer/programmer(you will still find people who are willing to learn - that is you
greatest asset!!)

( I used to script, write; maybe a few lines of C many many years ago....as a Sr. Network Engineer. Haven't done that
for years because $employer doesn't want it as a part of my job: and to $employer, I The "Sr. Network
Architect".....<lol>

My 02c's worth wrt this thread.

./Randy