nanog mailing list archives

Re: French Regulator to ask all your information about your Peering

From: Raphael MAUNIER <rmaunier () neotelecoms com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 21:48:00 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Leo Bicknell <bicknell () ufp org>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 14:37:51 -0700
To: 'NANOG list' <nanog () nanog org>
Subject: Re: French Regulator to ask all your information about your
Peering

In a message written on Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 09:20:10PM +0000, Raphael
MAUNIER wrote:
You were @GPF last week, when Martin asked : Who want this to be
regulated
? And Who want to have his peering controled ? why you didn't raise your
hand ?

In my memory, no one did.

It's also fearmongering.

You may be right.

I am not in favor of the type of regulation that Martin alluded to
in his question.  However, I also do not think all regulation is
bad.  As long as the industry's attitude is to avoid the regulator
at all costs the regulator will make decisions without information
and consultation, and those decisions will be bad.

I spent time to talk to them ( hours honestly ) trying to explain what is
really the peering.

I don't get the point to ask for a "consultation" and less than the month
after, oblige people to do it ?

"Regulation" could be as benign as "Anyone who peers in France must
publically post their peering policy" to something as sinister as
"the regulator will dictate all peering arrangements to all parties".

This is my problem. In a near future, this will be the case. My guess is :
how to get some vat on top of this.
Today there is no prices, so no vat, we need to get some.

Everyone on this list should be working _with_ the regulators
wherever possible to educate them, and help shape regulations to
meet your business needs.

Toons of hours for this ? Really ? Ok, I don't speak english very well, it
seems that it's the same for french.

Other industries have done this for
years.  Lobbiests get paid millions of dollars to shape government
regulations in favor of their employer; peering and more importantly
regulation of the Internet is no different.
+1

--
      Leo Bicknell - bicknell () ufp org - CCIE 3440