nanog mailing list archives

Re: French Regulator to ask all your information about your Peering

From: Eric Brunner-Williams <brunner () nic-naa net>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 14:43:50 -0400

interesting discussion of jurisdiction.

In the present instance, we regard ARCEP’s proposed reporting requirement as constituting an extra-
territorial obligation that ought not to be applied to operators who are neither established in France nor
directly providing services within France, merely by virtue of their interconnecting with a network that
does operate in France.

Similar considerations apply, mutatis mutandis, to the application of a reporting requirement to the
providers of content services established and operating outside France. We do not consider the provision
of content in the French language to be sufficient, by itself, to place the content provider within ARCEP’s
jurisdiction.

We consider this lack of jurisdiction to be sufficient reason for ARCEP to withdraw categories (b) and (d)
from the scope of persons enumerated in Article 1 of the Draft Decision.

-e