nanog mailing list archives

Re: Comcast Ethernet Feed

From: Randy <randy_94108 () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 18:49:48 -0700 (PDT)

From: Brian R. Watters <brwatters () absfoc com>
Subject: Comcast Ethernet Feed
To: "NANOG list" <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Thursday, March 29, 2012, 5:36 PM
We are about to accept a 20MEG
Ethernet feed via Comcast and their fiber plant as well as a
BGP feed across the same link.

I have a space GIGE interface on a 7206VXR and would like to
know best practice for deploying for optimal performance
across this interface.

Any ideas and or direction would be extremely helpful as we
are seeing some real issues such as.

Direct connect (without BGP) to the CPE from Comcast (Fiber
to Ethernet) via a laptop gives the level of performance we
would expect, However as soon as we terminate to our router
via the GIGE which is set to 100MB full duplex and all flow
control turned off (Negotiation auto) per Comcast and
connect up via a 100MB fast Ethernet interface directly
connected we get a fraction of the speed when direct
connected.

Ideas?

BRW

A couple of questions -

1) What flavor of NPE are you using?
2) Is the GigE interface on the NPE-G1/G2  OR is this a PA?
3) Is the FaE ethernet interface that you appear to be connecting your laptop to, on a separate PA in chassis?
4) Have you verified you that "bandwidth-points" have not been exceeded for bus-1 and/or 2: slots 1,3,5 for bus1 and
2,4,6; also 0(if I/O controller is present. It is 600 points for bus1 and 600 for bus2.
(A sh ver will provice the info)

You can google:
"Cisco 7200 Series Port Adapter Hardware Configuration Guidelines"
for additional info.

Finally,

Have you *hard-coded* speed and duplex on any of you eth ints? Please don't!

Let both ints auto-negotiate speed&duplex.

after having done so, post the output of:

sh int gi x/y and sh int fa x/y

(hardcoding speed/duplex is sometimes required when dealing with brain-dead CPE. I have also seen other flavors of
brain-dead CPE that *only* work when speed/duplex are set to auto)

./Randy