nanog mailing list archives

Re: airFiber (text of the 8 minute video)

From: Jonathan Lassoff <jof () thejof com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 12:53:17 -0700

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 12:33 PM, Oliver Garraux <oliver () g garraux net> wrote:
I was at Ubiquiti's conference.  I don't disagree with what you're
saying.  Ubiquiti's take on it seemed to be that 24 Ghz would likely
never be used to the extent that 2.4 / 5.8 is.  They are seeing 24 Ghz
as only for backhaul - no connections to end users.

I suspect this is just due to cost and practicality. ISPs, nor users
will want to pay 3k USD, nor widely utilize a service that requires
near-direct LOS.
I could see this working well in rural or sparse areas that might not
mind the transceiver.

I guess
point-to-multipoint connections aren't permitted by the FCC for 24
Ghz.

The whole point of these unlicensed bands is that their usage is not
tightly controlled. I imagine hardware for use still should comply
with FCC's part 15 rules though.

AirFiber appears to be fairly highly directional.  It needs to
be though, as each link uses 100 Mhz, and there's only 250 Mhz
available @ 24 Ghz.

Being so directional, I'm not sure that cross-talk will as much of an
issue, except for dense hub-like sites. It sounds like there's some
novel application of using GPS timing to make the radios spectrally
orthogonal -- that's pretty cool. If they can somehow coordinate
timing across point-to-point links, that would be great for sites that
co-locate multiple link terminations.

Overall, this looks like a pretty cool product!

--j