nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 /64 links (was Re: ipv6 book recommendations?)

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 17:28:20 -0700

On Jun 21, 2012, at 4:40 PM, Masataka Ohta wrote:

Owen DeLong wrote:

Does not scale. Not enough IPv4 addresses to do that for 6.8
billion people on the planet.

It is the first step to have the RSIP style transparent Internet.

The second step is to use port numbers for routing within ISPs.
But, it is not necessary today.

Still doesn't scale. 40 bits isn't enough to uniquely identify a
conversation end-point. If you use port numbers for routing,
you don't have enough port numbers for conversation IDs.

What if my ISP just routes my /48? Seems to work quite well,
actually.

Unlike IPv4 with natural boundary of /24, routing table
explosion of IPv6 is a serious scalability problem.

Solvable. IPv6 has enough bits that we can use map/encap or
other various forms of herarchical overlay ASN-based routing
to resolve those issues over time.

Owen