nanog mailing list archives

Re: Dear Linkedin,

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 14:53:05 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Levine" <johnl () iecc com>

Although banks have different tradeoffs in risk management than you
might like, they're not dumb. I expect they figured that the increased
volume from not slowing down transactions and demanding more than makes
up for whatever the increased fraud. This theory is reinforced by my
observation that at my local supermarket, they don't even ask for the
signature that they don't look at for purchases under $50.

Another point here is that *just asking for ID, and observing the patron's
mien when they give it to you* filters out 2 whole categories of low-hanging
fruit attackers.

Cheers,
-- jr 'each user discovers a new category of bugs' a
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com