nanog mailing list archives

Re: CVV numbers

From: Matthew Palmer <mpalmer () hezmatt org>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 08:48:40 +1000

On Sat, Jun 09, 2012 at 02:34:03PM -0700, Scott Howard wrote:
On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 12:12 PM, Wayne E Bouchard <web () typo org> wrote:
The main weakness of CVV2 these days is "form history" in browsers.
(auto complete).

Any website requesting a CVV2 in a form field without the form
history/autocomplete being disabled is in breach of PCI compliance, and
risks losing their ability to accept credit cards.

And convenience trumps pseudo-security yet again; Chrom(ium) asks me if I want
to save my CC details when I put them in (to which I tell it not just "no",
but "are you *nuts*?"); presumably this is on forms which include
autocomplete=off, since it happens often enough.  So I would assume that
this PCI compliance tickbox is being ignored by browsers.  Whee!

- Matt

--
Ruby's the only language I've ever used that feels like it was designed by a
programmer, and not by a hardware engineer (Java, C, C++), an academic