nanog mailing list archives

Re: Configuration Systems

From: Paul Graydon <paul () paulgraydon co uk>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 13:30:53 -1000

On 06/07/2012 12:59 PM, valdis.kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 12:12:09 -1000, Paul Graydon said:
what cloud is you've also got to go into the realms of private clouds
(using, for example, openstack), on your own infrastructure in your own
datacenter.
Same definition.  The user I've provisioned still has no idea where I provisioned him.

That's before you even start delving into PaaS, SaaS "clouds" etc.
Still the same definition.  You have no idea where you're provisioned from.
Your original definition: "cloud" == "you rented a colo, but have no clue where". I know exactly where my colo is. I know exactly where my physical servers are. If I run a private cloud on those servers and provision stuff there, I'll still know exactly where my colo is and I'll still know where my "cloud" infrastructure is deployed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing#Private_cloud) Even that wiki page doesn't quite go far enough in defining cloud, at least compared to stuff people sell as "cloud" (as I said, cloud is a marketing term, not an engineering one. Its accuracy is negligible)

Paul