nanog mailing list archives

Re: LinkedIn password database compromised

From: Marshall Eubanks <marshall.eubanks () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 13:33:59 -0400

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Tei <oscar.vives () gmail com> wrote:
The problem:
- Modern internet users must have lots of different login/passwords around
the internet.  Most of then in easy-to-break poorly-patched poorly-managed
servers,  like linkedin.

The solution:
-  Reduce the number of authentication.  Allow anonymous posting in more
sites.

Imagine this.   I post something on the blog  "yadaydayda". I give my email
and nothing else.   The blog software sends me a email to confirm the post.
I click on it, and the post is published.

The real problem is that nowdays everybody and his dog want a password, and
a password is expensive for the user.  The internet need more anonymous
ways to publish content.

Maybe so, but anonymous entries on linkedin seems like a zen koan,
beyond the powers of my simple mind.

Regards
Marshall

--