nanog mailing list archives

Re: Penetration Test Assistance

From: Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold <xenophage () godshell com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 14:05:06 -0400

On Jun 5, 2012, at 12:52 PM, Peter Kristolaitis <alter3d () alter3d ca> wrote:
In general, my experience with most "pen testers" is a severe disappointment, and isn't anything that couldn't be
done in-house by taking the person in your department who has the most ingrained hacker/geek personality, giving them
Nessus/Metasploit/nmap/etc, pizza and a big ass pot of coffee, and saying "Find stuff we don't know about. Go.".
There is the occasional pen tester who is absolutely phenomenal and does the job properly (i.e. the guys who actually
write their own shellcode, etc), but the vast majority of "pen testers" just use automated tools and call it a day.
Like everything else in IT, security has been "commercialized" to the point where finding really good vendors/people
is hard, because everyone and their mom has CEH, CISSP, and whatever other alphabet soup certifications you can
imagine.

There are definitely a number of incredible pen-testers out there.  But I agree with Peter… If you end up with a
"report" that's nothing more than an executive statement pasted at the top of a Nessus report, then you've wasted your
money.  To be honest, I'd recommend getting a sample report from the company and quiz them on it before committing to a
contract with them.

Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold
xenophage () godshell com
"Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
- Niven's Inverse of Clarke's Third Law