nanog mailing list archives

Re: technical contact at ATT Wireless

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 23:20:46 -0400

On Jun 28, 2012, at 10:35 PM, Joel Maslak <jmaslak () antelope net> wrote:

Which is why enterprises generally shouldn't use RFC1918 IPs for
servers when clients are located on networks not controlled by the
same entity.  Servers that serve multiple administration domains (such
as VPN users on AT&T - or on some random home Linksys box) probably
shouldn't be addressed using addresses that conceivably could be used
at the other end.  But I'm probably fighting a losing battle saying
that...

I've worked at places that do some combination of all public, all private and a mix..

Usually the places that work best have all public as they avoid mtu and other issues that arise. I expect the
enterprise world to start coming around in the years to come to understand how they have damaged networking for the
companies.

- Jared