nanog mailing list archives

Re: Any advantage of announcing IPv6/64s Or purely misconfiguration?

From: "Justin M. Streiner" <streiner () cluebyfour org>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 11:12:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 9 Jul 2012, Anurag Bhatia wrote:

I was just looking around and say a major Indian provider Sify (AS9583) is
announcing /64s via BGP along with main /32 which is their allocation from
APNIC.
[snip]
Is it simply a misconfiguration or there is some use of announcing /64s
along with main /32?

Most of the major carriers I've seen appear to have settled on /48 as the smallest IPv6 prefix they will accept, much like /24 is the smallest IPv4 prefix that most providers will accept. Anything smaller runs the risk of mixed degrees of acceptance. As long as the /64 is part of a larger parent block, there shouldn't be any total loss of connectivity, however the routing to one of those /64 sites could be sub-optimal.

Advertising /64s into the global routing table is bad mojo.

jms