nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cisco Update

From: Joe Greco <jgreco () ns sol net>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 10:24:09 -0500 (CDT)

At 15:51 05/07/2012 +0000, Mario Eirea wrote:
Has anyone seen this yet? Looks like Cisco was forcing people to join its
Cloud service through an update for it's consumer level routers.

http://www.neowin.net/news/cisco-locks-users-out-of-their-routers-requires-invasive-cloud-service

-Mario Eirea

For those of us who have not kept up with every latest feature that Cisco
rolls out across all its platforms, can someone explain this new
service?  Is it like Windows update, where Cisco will auto-update your
router s/w and thereby brick it?  If I don't register my router with Cisco,
what do I lose?  I can't update it manually?

And what happens when your *cough* "router" isn't actually on the
Internet?  How can it be managed and upgraded on a regular old network?

... JG