nanog mailing list archives

Re: F-ckin Leap Seconds, how do they work?

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 16:26:57 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Medcalf" <kmedcalf () dessus com>

Are you suggesting that NTP timekeeping should be based on UT1?

The system clock should be based on UT1 and should be monotonically
increasing since this matches the common concept of time. Calculations
done with this value are all based on it being UT1 and using the
"common" notion of UT1 rules. The root cause of the difficulties is
that someone decided that the system clock would not maintain "wall
clock" time (UT1) but rather some other timebase and then "step" that
time to keep it in sync with UT1.

UTC is monotonic, and is based on UT1.  Just not deterministically.  :-)

The root cause *is* that someone made a bad decision about kernel
timekeeping, but it wasn't the choice of timescale.  Non-monotonic time
is not a feature of UTC *either*.

NTP can keep time in UTC (or anything else) if it wants, but it should
discipline the system clock to monotonically increasing UT1.

As I undertstand it, the problem is not how NTP disciplined the kernel,
it's what the kernel does itself.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com