nanog mailing list archives

Re: XBOX 720: possible digital download mass service.

From: Seth Mattinen <sethm () rollernet us>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 08:59:37 -0800

On 1/27/12 7:52 AM, Ray Soucy wrote:
This is already very normal (tens of millions of people doing this).

World of Warcraft, RIFT, and Star Wars: The Old Republic, etc. are all
around 20G of downloads.  Sure they have boxed versions, but after you
install them they need another 10G of patches to download (looking at you,
Blizzard).

The majority of players buy the digital download (instant gratification).

Well, I can tell you from my experience using AT&T at home that there is
no such thing as instant gratification with digital downloads of large
games. ;)

If I start something in the morning it will probably be done by the time
I get back from the office. Even if I buy a box set these days it's more
likely just a serial number carrier than not, which is a waste of time
for side trip to a store through rush hour traffic on the way home.

~Seth