nanog mailing list archives

Re: Megaupload.com seized

From: Lyle Giese <lyle () lcrcomputer net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 13:11:45 -0600

On 01/21/12 12:38, George Bonser wrote:
that was reported.
But what -- *exactly* -- is an "illegal file"?

As Leo Bicknell astutely pointed out in this thread:

        "Also, when using a hashed file store, it's possible that
        some uses are infringing and some are not."
The problem is going to be the thousands of people who have now lost their legitimate files, research data, personal
recordings, etc. that they were using Megaupload to share.

http://torrentfreak.com/feds-please-return-my-personal-files-megaupload-120120/

Not that I would not be a bit miffed if personal files disappeared, but that's one of the risks associated with using a cloud service for file storage. It could have been a fire, a virus erasing file, bankruptcy, malicious insider damage... Doesn't matter, you lost access to legit content in the crossfire.

There is always a risk of losing access to cloud resources. And for years, we always joked in my computer buddy circles, computers know when you don't have a backup.

It's your fault(not theirs) if that was your only copy.

Lyle Giese
LCR Computer Services, Inc.